Rich, full-flavored chicken tacos are at your fingertips when you make Best Chicken Taco Seasoning mix to keep on hand.
Simple Chicken Taco Seasoning
There are some store-bought products we think it's just the way life is done. We never question if we could do it better and easily, at home. Store bought packets of taco seasoning might just be one of those for you.
With this Simple Chicken Taco Seasoning recipe there are no more trips to the store for that packet of taco seasoning. And no longer will the seasoning packets decide the flavor of your tacos. You are now in the Spice Mixologist Club with us making your own taco seasoning.
And don't fret. This simple chicken taco spice blend is versatile and can also be used on ground beef, turkey, or pork. Heck, throw it on a beef or pork roast in the crockpot and make the best shredded tacos you've ever had.
Open up that spice cabinet! You likely have all of the ingredients on hand. Let's mix up the Best Chicken Taco Seasoning you have ever tasted.
Chili Powder flavor can vary from brand to brand. Try a few until you settle on one you like. Or mix a few to have a flavor all your own.
Adjust the seasoning blend flavors to match your preferences. Like more spice? Add more chili flakes or cayenne pepper.
Add tomato paste or tomato sauce to your taco meat for even more flavorful tacos.
Use these simple ingredients to create your own homemade taco seasoning mix to use on busy weeknights. No artificial flavors, fillers, or extra salt.
- Chili Powder--Not much heat, but tons of flavor in this spice.
- Cumin--Mexican food isn't Mexican food without some cumin.
- Minced Onion, dry--I like the flavor this brings to the tacos but use granulated onion powder if you prefer.
- Minced Garlic, dry--Use granulated garlic powder if that's what you have on hand.
- Smoked Paprika--The smoky flavor this brings to your tacos will be notable. Use regular paprika if that's what you have.
- Oregano--I used dried so I don't have to worry about storing the extra spice mix.
- Kosher Salt--adjust to your preference. This is simply a starting point.
- Black Pepper--Brings interest and flavor to the mix.
- Sugar--this is the secret ingredient to my taco meat. It elevates all the other flavors.
- Red Pepper Flakes, optional--Adjust the amount to match the heat level you like.
- Cinnamon--ok, now I've told you everything in my taco arsenal. No one will be able to tell you cinnamon is in your tacos, but they will tell you they are the best tacos they've ever had. My recommendation: don't skip this ingredient.
How to Make Chicken Taco Seasoning
Making taco seasoning is super simple. Just mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Add more of any spice to taste.
Pour the spice blend into a jelly jar with a lid to keep in the spice cabinet. This recipe makes enough spice blend for about 4 batches of tacos.
How to Make the Best Chicken Tacos
For taco night, my favorite chicken tacos use boneless skinless chicken thighs and are cooked on the grill.
- Brush the chicken thighs with a little olive oil and sprinkle Chicken Taco Seasoning on. I use about 1 Tablespoon per pound of thighs.
- Grill the thighs over a wood fire or charcoal on medium high heat until cooked through. Avoid overcooking chicken. Use a meat thermometer and take off when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Rest the chicken for 10 minutes. That means do not cut into it until 10 minutes have passed. This makes for juicy chicken tacos.
- Slice cooked chicken taco meat and serve as desired. Our favorite way is with flour tortillas or corn taco shells, lettuce, shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, and a squeeze of lime juice. Add a side of refried beans or black beans and my belly is happy.
Using Chicken Taco Seasoning
To make tacos--Use 1 to 2 Tablespoons of seasoning per pound of chicken thighs, ground beef, ground chicken, ground pork, or ground turkey.
Using Chicken Taco Seasoning for Ground Beef Tacos
If making tacos with ground beef on the stovetop, brown your beef well in a large skillet, then add seasoning, 1-2 Tablespoons tomato paste, and a half cup of water. Allow to simmer to bring flavors together.
The main difference is the amount of spice level. Chicken is a bit milder in flavor and takes less flavoring than beef tacos to shine. But use this spice blend for both.
Use this spice blend for any recipe calling for taco seasoning including burritos, quesadillas, dips, and casseroles.
Substitutions and Variations
Vary the Spices--Make the seasoning yours. Use any spices you like in your tacos.
More than Tacos--Use the meat on more than tacos. It's perfect for burritos, nachos, taco bowls, taco salads like Taco Salad with Catalina Dressing, or quesadillas.
How to Store Chicken Taco Seasoning
Store the Taco Seasoning Mix in a mason jar or other airtight container in a cool dark place alongside your other spices.
I love that tacos are an all in one dish. Veggies, protein, dairy, grains in one happy bundle. So to me, it's a complete meal.
Something Else to Try
If you're looking for other great recipes with a Mexican flavor, consider trying one of these favorites:
Finish your meal with Rice Pudding with Sweetened Condensed Milk for a dessert with a little Mexican flavor.
Did You Try This Recipe? ❤️
Lastly, if you made Chicken Taco Seasoning following this recipe, please let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and/or giving a rating!
I love hearing from you! I'll do my best to respond to each comment.
And of course, if you do make this recipe, tag @laughingroostereats on Instagram and hashtag it #laughingroostereats! Seeing your photos is our favorite thing!
- Wash hands before cooking
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- See more guidelines at USDA.gov
Best Chicken Taco Seasoning
- 4 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Onion dry
- 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic dry
- 2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 4 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 4 teaspoons Black Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes optional
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon optional
To Make Seasoning Mix
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients. Add more to taste if you prefer.
To Make Tacos
- Use 1 to 2 Tablespoons of seasoning per pound of chicken thighs, ground beef, ground chicken, ground pork, or ground turkey.
- If cooking on the stove top, brown your meat well in a large skillet, then add seasoning and a half cup of water. Allow to simmer to bring flavors together.
To Store Chicken Taco Seasoning Mix
- Store in an airtight container in a dark place at room temperature.