Cheesy Ranch Ground Beef and Rice Casserole is a meaty, cheesy, and creamy hamburger rice hot dish. This weeknight dinner will be a hit!
Hamburger Rice Hot Dish
I love recipes I can make with ingredients I consider staples in my kitchen. Cheesy Ranch Ground Beef and Rice Casserole is perfect in that way.
My baby angel loves rice in about any form. So this recipe got top ratings from her. I'm not the kind of mom that puts veggies inside most casseroles. (I don't get enough credit from my children for this.)
However, if you are the kind of cook who likes an all-inclusive casserole dish, feel free to add a cup or 2 of frozen mixed veggies, peas, corn, or your favorite.
I'll keep serving my veggies on the side.
And for my friends in Minnesota, South Dakota, North Dakota (and anywhere else) who refer to a casserole as a "hot dish"--this one's for you! 🥰
- Ground meat--I used both ground beef and ground pork
- Onion and Garlic--Flavors this casserole
- Long Grain Rice, cooked--I use brown rice since it is whole grain, but white rice would work just fine
- Ranch Dressing packet--I buy Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix in bulk, but you just need 1 envelope
- Cream Cheese--Softening it makes it easier to stir in
- Milk--Makes it all mix together nicely. You can use broth if you prefer
- Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning--Or use your favorite seasoning salt
- Chicken Bouillon--Flavors the casserole
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese--Stir some in and sprinkle some on top
- Black Pepper--To your taste
How to make Cheesy Ranch Hamburger & Rice Hot Dish
Cook the long-grain rice according to package directions.
While the rice is cooking, brown the hamburger, onions and garlic in a skillet.
When meat is fully cooked, add ranch dressing mix, cream cheese, milk, bouillon, and Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. Transfer to a 9x13 casserole dish.
Stir in the cooked rice and about half of the shredded cheddar cheese.
Top the casserole with the remaining shredded cheddar cheese.
Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly and the shredded cheese has melted.
Substitutions and Variations
Cheesy Ranch Ground Pork and Rice Casserole with Vegetables --Add any frozen or drained canned vegetable you like. Corn, peas or mixed vegetables would work nicely.
Cheesy Ranch Chicken and Rice Casserole--Use ground or chopped chicken instead of ground beef
Allow Cheesy Ranch Ground Beef and Rice Casserole to cool slightly before putting the leftovers into a shallow bowl with a lid.
Place in the refrigerator and store for 3-5 days.
Cheesy Ranch Ground Beef and Rice Casserole reheats nicely in the microwave. If you find it is a little dry, add a splash of milk and stir.
Cheesy Ranch Ground Pork and Rice Casserole--use ground pork instead of beef
Cheesy Ranch Ground Beef and Rice Casserole is a one pot dish with meat, carbs and veggie all wrapped into one dish.
But you might enjoy serving it with another of our One Pot Wonders, Applesauce Jello.
A fresh, crisp salad would round this dish out nicely.
Something Else To Try
If you're a fan of casseroles and hot dish meals, check out a few fan favorites!
Did You Try This Recipe?
Lastly, if you made this dish, please let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and/or giving a rating!
I love hearing from you! I'll do my best to respond to each comment.
And of course, if you do make this recipe, tag me on Instagram! Seeing your photos is my favorite thing!
- Wash hands before cooking
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
Cheesy Ranch Ground Beef and Rice Casserole
- 2 pounds Ground Beef or Ground Pork
- ½ cup Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 cups Long Grain Rice
- 1 envelope Ranch Dressing Mix
- 6 ounces Cream Cheese
- 1 ¼ cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Chicken Bouillon
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Cook the long-grain rice according to package directions. I cook mine in the Instant Pot.
- While the rice is cooking, brown the hamburger, onions and garlic in a skillet.
- When meat is fully cooked, add ranch dressing mix, cream cheese, milk, bouillon, Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, and pepper. Transfer to a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Stir in the cooked rice and about half of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Top the casserole with the remaining shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly and the shredded cheese has melted.