Honey-glazed Sweet and Salty Snack Mix is perfect for Holiday snacking, goodie bags, and game day parties. Mix and match to make it yours!
Best Sweet and Salty Snack Ev-er
I used to work in an office where one of the old guys was a well-respected cook in the community.
Whatever he brought to an office party, I paid attention to. I was always bugging him for his recipes and this is one of his.
Of course, I've made the recipes my own and you can too. I like peanuts in mine, but you can use pecans, almonds, or mixed nuts. Heck, you can leave the nuts out and it's still yummy!
Pretzels are my favorite and I almost always have them on hand. But I like a little extra saltiness, so if I have those cute little potato chip sticks, they go in, too!
The snack mix is plenty sweet without the M&Ms, but I love the color they bring to whatever occasion I make this for. I especially love it for a Halloween Snack Mix in little Halloween baggies for any visitors that come to the farm, which is usually the delivery truck drivers!
I love this snack mix! Its crunchy, honey-sweet, and salty flavor is my favorite thing on the Christmas snack table, but I also make it for Super Bowl parties with the team colors. Everyone loves it!Penny
Mix and match to make it yours. If you hold to the measurements you will have plenty of gooey honey goodness to cover whatever you decide to put in.
- Chex cereal or other cereal of choice
- Mini Pretzels
- Peanuts or other nuts
- M&Ms in holiday or team colors
How to Make Sweet and Salty Snack Mix
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
In a 15x10 baking pan lined with parchment paper, mix the cereal, pretzels, and nuts.
In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter. Stir in honey and vanilla.
Pour over cereal mixture and stir well to coat.
Bake at 300 degrees for 40-60 minutes. Stir well every 10 minutes.
Allow to cool completely on parchment paper before adding M&M candies.
Make sure you allow the snack mix to cool completely before adding anything chocolate.
If you like it in bigger clusters don't stir it after it comes out of the oven. This allows it to stick together a little bit.
I have used half honey and half real maple syrup and it turned out delish.
Substitutions and Variations
The mix and match on this Sweet and Salty Snack Mix is seriously endless. If I were a math person, I could probably tell you some equation that could tell how many variations there could be, but since I'm a cook, I'll give you some ideas instead.
- Cereal Mix Up--Corn Chex, Wheat Chex, Crispix, Life Cereal, etc. would all be pretty tasty
- Pretzel Swap Outs--Bugles, Potato Chip Sticks, popcorn
- Nuts--Really any kind of nut you like will work here!
- Candies--Reese's Pieces, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, white chips, peanut butter chips, peanut M&Ms... You get the idea.
Heck yes! Just stick with gluten-free cereal & pretzels. Or use potato chip sticks and popcorn.
I don't recommend freezing this one. It will get soggy. Sorry!
Store snack mix in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Something Else to Try
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? ❤️
Lastly, if you made Sweet and Salty Snack Mix following this recipe, please let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and/or giving a rating!
I love hearing from you! I'll do my best to respond to each comment.
And of course, if you do make this recipe, tag @laughingroostereats on Instagram and hashtag it #laughingroostereats! Seeing your photos is our favorite thing!
- Wash hands before cooking
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
Sweet and Salty Snack Mix
- 5 cups Rice Chex cereal or other cereal of choice
- 3 cups Mini Pretzels
- 2 cups Peanuts or other nuts
- ½ cup Butter
- ½ cup Honey
- 1 ½ teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 cup M&Ms candies Holiday colors or Reese's Pieces
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- In a 15x10 baking pan lined with parchment paper, mix the cereal, pretzels, and nuts.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter. Stir in honey and vanilla.
- Pour over cereal mixture and stir well to coat.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 40-60 minutes. Stir well every 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely on parchment paper before adding M&M candies.