Crockpot Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar and Butter are rich, warm & nourishing. Perfect for holidays but crockpot-kind-of-easy for a Tuesday.
Whipped Sweet Potatoes
Seriously, why did I ever make sweet potatoes any other way?
These whipped Crockpot Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar and Butter start and finish in the crock pot. One pan! Limited mess! Brilliant!
Whipping these fluffy sweet potatoes inside the slow cooker makes them so easy to make but what I really love is that I can do them earlier in the day and let them stay warm in the slow cooker while I do everything else.
When I made sweet potato casserole, I was always scrambling around to smash them on Thanksgiving Day when 432 other things needed to be done at the same time.
Tell me you can relate...
Well, this is my forever solution. Cook those babies in the crockpot. Sometimes the most obvious things take a while to occur to me...
Regardless of my timing of sweet potato reckoning... This technique is easy enough to do on any old day of the week. Even a Tuesday.
I don't even like sweet potatoes. Everyone makes them so syrupy and sweet with marshmallows that I didn't think I liked them. Until now! Thank you for this easy recipe.Linda
Adjust the amount of brown sugar to match your preferences.
Cut the sweet potatoes into slightly larger chunks that are all similar in size and thickness for even cooking.
Ingredients for Crockpot Sweet Potatoes
Easy peasy, hands-off recipe with just a few ingredients.
- Sweet Potatoes--medium-sized is what I used. I like them to be all about the same size for cooking consistency.
- Butter--use a little or a lot, but it adds richness to the sweet potatoes.
- Brown Sugar--this recipe gives a starting amount that highlights the sweet potato's natural sugars, but you can add less or more. You can always add more when they are cooked if you think they need it. So go sparingly to start off.
- Salt--brightens up the sweetness in the dish.
- Ground Cinnamon--warms up the flavors and is a traditional pairing with sweet potatoes.
- Chopped Pecans--I toast them in a skillet to get the good crunch on them before tossing them on top of the whipped sweet potatoes.
- Milk--use as much as it takes to make the sweet potatoes the consistency you like. Add it a little at a time, but don't add it until you have all the lumps out.
How to make Crockpot Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar and Butter
Peel the sweet potatoes.
Cut them into larger chunks that are all about the same size to ensure even cooking.
Place in the Crockpot. Add butter, salt, brown sugar, and cinnamon to the sweet potatoes. Set milk and pecans aside to add later.
Cook on low for 3-4 hours or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
Using a hand mixer or potato masher, smash and whip them until no lumps remain.
Add milk a little at a time until the sweet potatoes are your desired consistency.
Toast chopped pecans in a dry skillet over medium heat until lightly browned and you can smell the nuttiness. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
Top whipped sweet potatoes with pecans. Replace the lid and keep on warm for serving.
Substitutions and Variations
Spicy Sweet Potatoes--If you like a little heat with your sweet, try adding red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper with the cinnamon.
Marshmallow Crockpot Sweet Potatoes--Top with marshmallows after whipping if you really love the marshmallow sweet potatoes. Make it how you like it.
I have a couple of slow cookers. I like the simplicity of this one. High and low settings are all I typically need.
I have a Kitchenaid hand mixer that I use now, but when I grow up I want the cordless battery-powered one!
Storage and Reheating
Refrigerate leftovers in a shallow covered container for 3-5 days.
I think reheating these in the microwave works nicely for just a single serving.
But if you're reheating a larger amount, throw them in a 350-degree oven until warmed through.
You may need to add another splash or two of milk to get them to your prefered consistency.
Something Else to Try
I love side dishes! Try Jalapeno Creamed Corn if you're looking for another holiday-worthy side dish.
Twice Baked Mashed Potatoes are another great potato side dish. At my Thanksgiving dinner, I have both!
Oh... Sweet Potatoes With Brown Sugar and Butter goes with everything. But I am particularly fond of them with our Ham Recipe.
Pork just loves sweet potatoes. Throw the sweet potatoes and brine some boneless pork chops at lunchtime. Then when you get home make my Shake and Bake Boneless Pork Chops. Dinner will be on the table in less than 20 minutes!
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE?
Lastly, if you made Crockpot Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar and Butter following this recipe, please let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and/or giving a rating!
I love hearing from you! I'll do my best to respond to each comment.
And of course, if you do make this recipe, tag @laughingroostereats on Instagram and hashtag it #laughingroostereats! Seeing your photos is our favorite thing!
- Wash hands before cooking
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
Crockpot Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar and Butter
- 4 medium Sweet Potatoes peeled and cut into similar sized chunks
- ¼ cup Butter
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ cup Pecans chopped and toasted
- 1 cup Milk more or less
- Peel the sweet potatoes.
- Cut them into larger chunks that are all about the same size to ensure even cooking.
- Place in the Crockpot. Add butter, salt, brown sugar, and cinnamon to the sweet potatoes. Set milk and pecans aside to add later.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Using a hand mixer or potato masher, smash and whip them until no lumps remain.
- Add milk a little at a time until the sweet potatoes are your desired consistency.
- Toast chopped pecans in a dry skillet over medium heat until lightly browned and you can smell the nuttiness. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Top whipped sweet potatoes with pecans. Replace the lid and keep on warm for serving.